View Single Post
Old November 29, 2005, 04:08 PM   #8
The British Soldier

I like the USP, but I love the SIG P226 or 228 for their simplicity of use - decocked with a round in the chamber you just have to pull it out and pull the trigger.

A colleague in the Ulster Defence Regiment [now the Royal Irish Regiment] used to commute to work from his home in the countryside; now as a full time soldier he lived in the community but worked elsewhere in Northern Ireland. At work he had a Browning 9mm Hi-Power and an SA80 5.56mm Assault Rifle to carry around with him; but when he wasn't working he couldn't take them home - yet he was still under threat. He watched 'Lethal Weapon' one day and went out to buy a Beretta M92FS; liking the size and capacity. We all told him never to leave it on safe, because that decocking safety catch doesn't spring return to fire - it stays locked on safe.

When he had occasion to take it out one evening and point it at a local 'hood' who had threatened him, he released that he had done so with the safety on 'safe'. He couldn't give away his predicament by reaching up to flip off the safety, so he 'bluffed it' using body language and his eyes! Whatever the criminal saw in his eyes was enough to make him back down, but my colleague quickly got rid of the Beretta and bought a SIG P228.

His organisation, about that time, began to issue Walther P5C, but it wasn't as reliable as the SIG.

So, keep away from safeties unless you are drilled to the point of conditioning to take it off when you draw.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.

Page generated in 0.02633 seconds with 8 queries