View Single Post
Old September 8, 2011, 08:08 PM   #40
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
...you guys are getting under my skin here...
Really? You're not willing to have others challenge your notions?

Quote:
...IF ALL I HAD WAS A 22 I WOULD USE IT...
You're still ignoring the difference between having to make do in an emergency and being able to prepare in advance of need.

If all I had was a .22, of course I'd use that. If all I had was a sharp stick, I'd use that. If all I had was a fireplace poker, I'd use that. But when I choose what I'm going to [legally] carry around with me in case I may have to defend myself, I'm not going to choose a .22, a sharp stick or a fireplace poker. There are better choices.

The fact that one implement or another can be pressed into service for self defense in an emergency when nothing else is at hand doesn't necessarily make a wise choice if you have the opportunity to choose in advance of need.

Quote:
....DO YOU JUST CHOOSE TO POST AND THINK YOU ARE ALL THAT?...
This makes no sense. What are you trying to say?

Quote:
...I dont want a newbie to think he is unarmed if all he has is a 22...
And you continue to confuse having to make do in an emergency with what's at hand with being able to choose and prepare in advance of need. The points for the novice are (1) in an emergency one will have to make do with what you have at hand, even if it wouldn't be the best choice; and (2) a .22 is a poor choice if one can prepare and can handle effectively something bigger than a .22.

Quote:
...Now go on and post I dont know this and Idont know that crap....
What you may know or not know is apparent from your posts and the various responses to your posts.

Quote:
...Next you will be telling me I need hps instead of fmj....
Again, it's a question of making a choice. If one has a choice, JHPs are a better choice for self defense applications. That's what pretty much every law enforcement agency uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreeq
...using my little .22 revolver and some bad guy stealing my stuff...
In most States, if you use lethal force to stop someone from merely stealing, there's an excellent chance that you will be going to jail.

Quote:
...I'm going to use my head & all available cover, and put as many of the 9 available rounds in dude's face....
Are you really good enough to be able to do that reliably under the stress of a violent encounter?

Quote:
...I feel I could probably be somewhat less judicious with the 17 rounds in my 9mm, however...
Bad thinking.

[1] Shot placement is of course vital with small calibers like the .22. But shot placement remains important if you hope to effectively and quickly stop an attacker even when you're using a more powerful gun.

[2] Spraying the countryside with 9mm bullets, and putting innocents in jeopardy, is irresponsible and a very bad idea.

speedfreeq, it looks like you would benefit from some good, professional training.

Page generated in 0.03672 seconds with 8 queries