View Single Post
Old March 8, 2007, 11:57 AM   #28
rwilson452

Generally it depends on what I'm loading for. in a bolt action rifle I start at Sammi max spec and go out looking for the sweet spot after finding the best powder load at sammi max.. For something with a box mag it's as long as It can get and still function in the Mag. or mags. For an auto pistol I use the barrel as a case guage and it's as long as will function. sometimes you have mag. issue this way then you fall back to working with the mag. Longer ammo seems to shoot more accurately Most of the time. I have a 22-250 that has such a long leade that a 52 gr bullet cannot be set anywhere near the lands and still have enough in the case to hold neck tension.

When Max length is stated in the manual it will be sammi max. settin gto this kust insures the round will chamber in any gun chambered to SAMMI Spec.
Min length tell you the min length before you lower case volume to the extent you could exceed max pressure at max load.

Regardless of what anyone tells you to the contrary loading from accuracy is an art. A lot of science up front but in the end it's an art.

so what would you suggest starting at for a lenght 2.240", 2.230", 2.21"?? Or do you suggest buying oal gauge?? If I were not to buy an oal gauge would any range between 2.20" and 2.26" be good as long as the bullet isn't on the edge of the case on the max length??

Maybe I will measure some factory ammo and go from there!!

thanks for your help!!

Why do some books have the min oal and some have the max oal and some have none at all????
Kato_Guy is offline Report Post

Why do some people write better books than others?

Better why don't they list both?

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries