View Single Post
Old March 24, 2006, 04:18 AM   #7
formerflyer

Off topic, but you asked for it. . . .

Since you asked about the Steyr Scout, I’ve had one since the late ‘90’s. It’s gone on deer, goat and boar hunts from Hawaii to Texas. It also went with me to Africa and accounted for 4 game animals and 3 baboons. I’ve shot jackrabbits, cottontails, coyotes and other varmints and targets of opportunity with it. Mine’s got over 3000 rounds through it with precisely zero malfunctions. Zero has never wandered and it’s never needed a trip to the gunsmith.

It will do anything you want to with a rifle on this continent. It’s not a specialized tool. It’s not a dedicated long range shooter nor varminter, though you will be amazed how far you can shoot with it and how precise it can be. It’s not quite as fast as a lever gun for quickly moving targets, but it’s faster than any other bolt action rifle. The Steyr Scout reminds me of the famous Bear Bryant quote about one of his favorite quarterbacks Pat Trammel, “"He can't run, he can't pass, and he can't kick - all he can do is beat you."

The only time I ever felt inadequately armed on a hunt was when I was carrying it in Africa. I remedied that by purchasing the .376 version when I got home, and now I have a “Africa” scout and an “everywhere else” scout. My cup truly runneth over.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.

Page generated in 0.02895 seconds with 8 queries