View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 12:45 AM   #13
FloridaVeteran

Idek - if you shoot CAS, and if you can afford to, I recommend you load for the rifle in .357 cases exclusively. Doesn't matter in the revolvers, but Shooting .38s in the rifle can create a layer of crud where the case was shorter than the .357 length chamber, and then when you load a .357 case in there it can jam.

If you use both size cases and use the .38s for your revolvers, you can try using silver Federal primers in those, since tuned cowboy handguns tend to have softer hammer hits than the rifles anyway, and gold-colored Winchester primers for the rifle. That will keep you straigt as to which is which when the heat and the competition are making you sweat.

Saw a shooter get himself in a jam, pun intended, at our annual State match one year. Had used .38's and got a .357 stuck. When I first started CAS I shot 38s and sought out a Navy Arms lever chambered in .38SPL. Never tried wadcutters and don't recall talking to anyone else who did. To me, it doesn't make sense to mess with Mother Nature.

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries