View Single Post
Old July 1, 2011, 10:49 PM   #44
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
I'm still likeing the "long term loan" idea. Legal transfer hasn't taken place yet and if Dad croaks, the inheritance part takes over.
I'm not liking the "long term loan" idea at all, because IMHO it's not legal. Go read the laws. The laws provide for "temporary" loans (without defining how long "temporary" loans are) for "lawful sporting purposes" (without defining what constitutes a "lawful sporting purpose").

Various BATFE pronouncements and enforcement actions strongly suggest that "temporary" is something FAR short of "take it home from VA to FL and keep it as long as you like ... like forever." It's more like "Sorry your gun broke, you can use my spare for the rest of the afternoon/weekend."

As to "lawful sporting purposes," the BATFE in assessing guns for importation has decided that even sanctioned practical shooting competitions (IPSC/IDPA) are NOT "lawful sporting" events. (Not that they are unlawful events, only that the BATFE seems to only recognize traditional bullseye competition as legitimately "sporting." So cowboy action shooting would appear not to be covered, either.) So exactly what "lawful sporting purpose" is the son borrowing Dad's entire collection for ... irrespective of the length of the purported "loan"?

Much of the advice in this thread is likely to get someone in real trouble if they act on it.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; July 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03450 seconds with 8 queries