View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

Knoxville TN converts from the Glock .40 to the SIG Sauer P220 .45acp...

I read a interesting news item on www.wbir.com that the local PD of Knoxville TN plans to buy approx 225 new P220 .45acp duty pistols to replace the department's Glock 22/23 .40S&W models.
Among the reasons the procurement/contract officer gave the media for the big switch was that the Knoxville sworn officers shot the P220 better, it had fewer rounds in the duty magazine to go downrange & cause a serious threat to bystanders, and the .45acp round had more "stopping power" than a .40S&W duty round.
The Knoxville PD supervisors also stated the Glock service reps said the .40 pistols had a service life of only four years, compared to ten years with the more expensive P220 .45acp pistols, .

I don't disagree with a LE agency converting to a SIG Sauer P220 or P220R if they honestly felt it was better but the Glock 22 .40S&W is a highly rated sidearm in use with 1000s of US police agencies. Glock has approx 65% of the US police sidearm market.
I also do not know if these sworn LE officers with get the DAK series or the standard P220 decock version. The Knoxville PD could have also waited about 6mo & purchased the new SIG Sauer P227 .45acp model.
That would have made more sense.

Clyde

Page generated in 0.02706 seconds with 8 queries