Thread: NRA vs GOA
View Single Post
Old December 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #48
FrankenMauser

Quote:
This impression is based on a number of mailings I received from them over the past couple of years in which the primary content was diatribes against NRA, followed by a tacit appeal to A) send money, B) drop NRA membership, C) join GOA, and D) send money.
Oh, come on, Mike. Even with the GOA out of the picture....

Modify that slightly, and you get the NRA's MO:
A) Send Money, B) We're the only group that matters, C) Join Us (or get a friend/relative to join), D) Send Money, and E) "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! OBAMA IS ABOUT TO ATTACK!! SEND ALL YOUR MONEY!!!!".

GOA's appeals are irritating.
NRA appeals are irritating. (but I feel more like I'm reading propaganda than fact, when reading the NRA's reports and appeals.)

Both groups have had problems, lately, with disseminating poorly-researched articles that have bad (or completely out of context) statistics.

I'm a life member in the NRA.
I'm a yearly-renewal member in GOA.
I'm a yearly-renewal member in two state organizations.
I have previously been a member of some other national pro-2A groups.

All of them rub us the wrong way, sometimes. The NRA just gets too arrogant about their 'power', all too often.

You won't find me renouncing my membership, and I do suggest that every gun owner out there join the NRA. But... the NRA can play dirty, stab us in the back and support "compromise" legislation, and manipulate their "gun control" ratings for political or financial reasons - rather than being honest about a politician's actual stance on the issues.

As far as I am concerned, every one of the pro-2A groups is a small political party, in itself. You have to treat them just like you treat the Republican or Democratic parties: Some of their goals are good. ...But, they're mostly talk, aren't always honest about their dealings, and may stab you in the back while you're distracted.

Pick your poison.

If I was on the outside, looking in, I'd probably join both:
-GOA, to support their 'back door' lobbying and their front man. -Mr. Pratt is a fantastic spokesman for the 2A and gun rights, in general; staying calm, cool, and on topic very well (with a "no compromise" attitude).
-NRA to give the 800 pound gorilla a little more might. ...but sending them a letter to remind them that stabbing members in the back with compromise legislation or politically-driven 2A ratings is the quickest way to lose members. (And, Wayne comes across as a nut job, even to a lot of gun owners. ...not the best spokesman.)

Page generated in 0.02604 seconds with 8 queries