View Single Post
Old June 26, 2009, 06:06 AM   #6
evan1293

I think that the 360 scan is something that normally wouldn't be done in real life (do to the effects of fight or flight and tunnel vision), but its something that tactically is important, so its trained in. I agree that it should be done from SUL or a high ready position (muzzle up), depending on the environment. In reality based training, its advantageous to teach students how to scan and move in a 360 degree area, with a gun in their hand. Many ranges / schools frown upon this but its something that needs to be learned and learned how to do it safely.
A common problem does seem to be that students fail to truely access their surroundings during a scan. Personally, I've had students who I suspected were not really observing when they did their area scans. I've stood behind them with my finger pointed at their head like a gun to see if they would notice. Usually, they don't. If you're going to teach the 360 scan or 180 scan, you do need to instill in your students that they need to not just go through the motions.

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries