View Single Post
Old April 21, 2001, 01:42 AM   #52
Elizabeth Petersen

Drundel...

we are not arguing the fact that the homeowner was within his legal rights to shoot...that has been established.

We are arguing the MORALITY of the shooting. We are arguing the justifiability of it, and the law that supports it.

And besides, who are you to decide if a thread is closed? I have more to say, so deal with it

Just because a law is on the books does not make it right. Let me cite a few examples from Texas:

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

It is illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing. (Mashing, I believe, is another term for making out)

Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.

It is against the law to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather dusters, whips or quirts (riding crop), and explosive firecrackers of any kind.

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster. (where the Hell did this one come from?)

It's illegal to possess realistic dildos. (That someone actually thought to write this law just amazes me)

Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday. (Wait...if it's after Midnight on a Sunday, doesn't that make it MONDAY?)

It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream. (All you Designated Drivers...look out!)

It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.

It is now illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it visible from the street.

It is illegal to do "U Turns".

It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.

It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo. (OK, so I understand this one)

My point is, the Texas law that allows indiscriminate quasi-executions is likely a hold-ver from the days when the nearest law might be one, five or more days ride away on horseback. That, and just because a law is on the books doesn't make it RIGHT. (Thanks Mike!)

Now, just so you Texans don't think I am picking on you, here's a few oddball laws from my own home state of Utah...

You must have identification to enter a convienence store after dark.
Women may not swear. (DAMNIT! I BROKE THE LAW! SOMEONE SHOOT ME!)
Daylight must be visible between partners on a dance floor.
Throwing snowballs will result in a $50 fine.
No one may walk down the street carrying a paper bag containing a violin. (Huh?)
It is illegal to have sex in a moving ambulance and if you are caught, the male is let go without any consequence, but the female is arrested and punished, and her name is published in the newspaper. (As a woman and an EMT, I am not even going to comment on this one)
Pharmacists may not sell gunpowder to cure headaches.

I was going to, as a final point, say "Not even a COP can shoot a fleeing suspect" but as usual, LawDog beat me to it

Vulnus pectoris sugens ne properetis mos naturae dicendi est

Ask me about my Hemingway Death Wish. I dare you.

Page generated in 0.02739 seconds with 8 queries