View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 11:54 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Are there some GSP's that still retain the natural ability and drive that they were breed for, I am sure of it.
Probably more so than you think. If you know the history of your dog, you know that his "parent breed"(as you call it) was the GSP. Again, while there are lines of GSPs out there ruined by indiscriminate breeding, there are many more GSPs and GWPs out there that have been ruined as hunting dogs because of poor training and inadequate owners, who would rather blame the breed/breeder instead of themselves.

Quote:
The AKC version is nothing more than a pointer while what I bought will have the ability to not only point but to also be a strong retriever, fur tracker, blood tracker. As the Germans put is a truly versatile hunting companion.
Don't know where the 'ell you got this line of Bullpucky from. I know your research before buying your pup and the few weeks that you have had him makes you an expert on GWPs, but I believe my 40 years of owning GWPs gives me a little insight on them and their traits also. My first was a pup direct from Germany also. He was won @ a Ducks Unlimited auction in the early seventies by a friend of mine because nobody else there even knew the breed existed. He knew I was looking for one and took the chance I would want it. It was the best $275(lotta monies for a pup back then) I ever spent. My next two were first generation American born pups from parents brought directly from Germany. My last four have been from reputable breeders here in the states. I have also had stud dogs that were used in some highly respected kennels in the country and participated in NAVHDA Testing early in life when I had more time and monies for dogs. ALL the dogs I had/have possess/possessed the same strong drive and instinctive traits that makes this breed so versatile and desirable. To me there was no distinctive difference between the dogs other than the birthplace or sire/dam on the registration papers. It is true that some American breeders focus on more of the pointing and upland game traits. This includes breeding for a slicker/shorter coat. German bred dogs generally have a thicker/denser coat for harsher weather and more floatation while water retrieving. GWPs with a standard coat are not a warm weather dog. One reason you see very few of them in southern states. As I said before, if you have never owned a GWP or other Continental Pointer before, you will learn more from the dog than you will ever teach him. You will also see that being a versatile dog, means that GWPs must be broke or intensively trained against following their trailing instincts when their primary purpose is just pointing and retrieving. Most of my dogs were trained to only trail when on a leash. This was only for finding wounded deer when bloodtrails were thin. Several took a long time to be broke of wanting to follow a deer when jumped or chanced upon while hunting upland game birds. They also needed to learn that squirrels and rabbits were trash game. Again, this was against their breeding. But GWPs are fast learners. They also mature at a earlier age than many other breeds. They demand firm discipline and an active lifestyle. My present GWP is almost a year old and needs a hour or more of vigorous(not just walking) activity a day or she will drive you nuts. Give that to her and she is a sweetheart.

Quote:
It is very well proven that breeding practices and pedigree make a huge difference in the quality of animal produced.
While I agree about breeding practices and sticking to reputable breeders that breed selectively, Pedigree means little unless you are gonna become a breeder yourself. All of my pups, after the first one, were bought only after I had had the chance to view both parents and see their temperament and disposition. Coupla of them were bought because I had hunted with one and/or both of their parents. To me this meant more than pedigree. Championships and titles are an expensive and time consuming achievement. The average dog owner does not have the time or the monies to involve themselves in it. Having a Title or Championship means a dog is good, but it does not mean they are any better at hunting than any of their litter-mates without titles. It just means their owner has the time, monies and desire to pursue those titles. Since Championships and Titles on papers generally bring more monies for pups, these things are important to breeders as it increases the demand and the prices for their pups. For the average hunter, paying for titles and pedigree is moot. Kinda like paying more for a GM product with GMC on the hood instead of Chevy.

Grubbylabs, you have made a substantial investment in a dog with a ton of potential. I wish you many years of great hunting with a loyal companion. But he will only give you back what you put into him, regardless of breeding and bloodlines. But don't for a minute think that his bloodlines automatically makes him superior to other GWPs. I know of many owners with American born dogs that would love to take your challenge.

Page generated in 0.04009 seconds with 8 queries