View Single Post
Old February 9, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1
raimius

Pistol Ready Positions: Pros and Cons

(On another thread, we sidetracked away from the topic into the pros and cons of various ready positions. Opinions were strong, so I thought I'd move it to a new thread.)

I'd like to discus a few pistol positions that I've seen taught. Feel free to add others that you've seen!

To start, let's agree to some terms for the discussion. Let's use the ones here: http://www.handgunsmag.com/2013/09/0...st-deployment/
-Traditional Low Ready
-Neutral Ready
-Compressed Ready
-High Ready
-Sul
If you are going to talk about something different, please describe it, and don't call it the same as one of these.

Personally, I am a fan of Neutral Ready and Sul. Neutral ready provides a good balance of speed while not muzzling the person or target you are interacting with (provided they/it are more than a few feet away). Sul works well when the floor is a safe muzzle direction and you are moving in close proximity to people or objects you don't want to muzzle. With practice, it is still fairly quick to target via Compressed ready (what I would call "firing from retention" or "Step 3" of the 4 step draw stroke) or full extension.

I am not a fan of High Ready, as described, as I feel it is very far off target, and would waste time, while not providing more security or safety than Sul or Neutral Ready. Obviously, if straight up is the only direction you want the muzzle, it may have to do.

I have seen a "Modified High Ready" where the muzzle is more toward a 45 degree up cant, and a moderate distance from the body. This would be about halfway between Neutral Ready and High Ready. I don't feel it is a bad position, per say; however I don't think it is as efficient as Neutral Ready while it only buys a few extra feet of safe area in front of the shooter. It should be obvious that if you are at the Neutral Ready, and a non-threat is approaching the muzzle axis, you may want to move the muzzle higher.

DISCUSSION:
So, what positions do you train with and what are your intended uses? Do you have complaints about specific positions or think your way is better than these? (If so, please inform us.)

Page generated in 0.03833 seconds with 8 queries