Thread: My first AR15.
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
KMyerK98

Scope for AR

What kind of scope - that is a big question that needs more input. Are you going to plink with it (wife thinks it's fun - yes they are) or target or hunt varmints. What range will you shoot most of the time? For anything up to 100 yards you could just use a red dot style or halo style. Red dot is usually a short tube with a dot in the sighting system. The halo is also a red dot and some come with various switchable sights like 3mil, cross, cross+ circle, etc etc. Having one of those will give you some options and also provide different style sight pictures to try - this is helpful if multiple people will use the same rifle. Each can choose what they like best.

For over 100 yards to around 300 you could use a variable 3-8x or 6-12x. Anything beyond 300 with accuracy you will be spending lots more (for good optics and triggers and bench rests - it really doesn't end). You may want to use a fixed 10x up to an 8-24x scope for way out there. Again it depends on where you will shoot most.

If you really want to use a scope for up to 100 yards and beyond, then make sure you get something with "parallax adjustment". That allows you to adjust the scope for shorter distances. Parallax adjustments basically dial out the error of looking through the optics at varying angles. Looking straight down the center versus looking through canted makes a big difference for accurate bullet placement on target.

I'm sure there are optics threads on here. Might want to do some research before you go shopping. I went to Cabela's and compared leupolds, bushnells, and a few others side by side and chose a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 6-12x. The optics in it were much brighter than the others. This can be a $250-$600 plus decision! So get what you will use most often at the range you use.

I also swapped out the hard plastic hand grip for a Magpul soft rubber grip on all of mine. Much more comfortable and ergonomic.

Something else you may not have thought about are barrel options. You now have an AR15 variant. Your platform supports numerous calibers by merely changing out the upper half (no FFL required). I have 6.8SPC, .458 SOCOM (THUMPER), as well as the 5.56 for mine.

You have a pile of options now... choose wisely, be safe, have fun!!

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries