View Single Post
Old August 1, 2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ah CRAP! My computer just ate a response.

Anyway...

Slopemo,

The picture you've included isn't a historical piece. It's apparently a modern recreation, and a rather poorly done one, at that. I found what appears to be the original post series (on another board) where it was posted.

When the owner opened the box, it contained 16 cartridges, several of them being .44 Magnum rounds.

It was apparently a recreation, done for an unknown reason.

The major problems with it being a period piece are:

1. Cartridge is misspelled.

2. Wells Fargo NEVER EVER had a comma between Wells and Fargo.

3. There is, as far as I can tell, no Frankfurt in the United States, and certainly no Frankfurt Arsenal.

4. Frankford Arsenal, if that is what this is supposed to represent, was a US military ammunition facility and never manufactured ammunition for non-governemnt commercial companies.

5. Wells Fargo obtained its ammunition from Winchester, US Cartridge Co., or one of the other major commercial manufacturers of the day.

6. While I'm not 100% sure about this, I THINK that from the late 1880s onward Wells Fargo purchased and issued .45 Smith & Wesson ammuniton, NOT .45 Long Colt ammunition.

When the US military deaccessioned Schofield revolvers, Hartley and Graham purchased the lion's share, cut the barrels back, and sold many of them to Wells Fargo. There is evidence that Wells Fargo agents used these guns well into the 20th century.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; August 1, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.04476 seconds with 8 queries