View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
s2thalayer

Questions on painting a rifle

I'm working on some AK kits right now that I got before the panic, and want to do some unique things with them. I had this blasphemous idea to put an American flag on an AK. It was kind of a joke idea, but then I got to thinking that may look good on an AR, or maybe something like a Confederate flag, seeing as I've never seen that done.

So, I googled over and over, and all I can find are fill ins for serial numbers, camo painting, and super professional jobs that they don't really explain how they did it.

If I'm correct, there are two ways that I have seen so far. Krylon spray paint by itself (after a base coat, of course) is one. The other is airbrushing. I have no experience airbrushing, but I am an artist, so I figure "how hard could it be?" From what I understand you need some kind of base coat (not krylon, because it can't be baked), bake it, do your painting, bake, then clear coat.

The Krylon option concerns me because I don't see how that would hold up to the heat on an AR.

So does anyone know of any good techniques to actually do painting that is NOT camouflage, but actual artwork on aluminum of an AR15? Actually, the carbon material, also. And can any actual freehand painting be done?

Thanks in advance. I wasn't sure what forum to put this under, but this looked as good as any.

Page generated in 0.03583 seconds with 8 queries