View Single Post
Old September 9, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1000
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if the Carson incident will be shown to be the same?

From what I've read so far, the rifle used in that shooting was a Norinco, purchased from a dealer who's been out of business for awhile. Seems doubtful. In fact, some media outlets are griping about how hard it is to trace guns under such circumstances.
It is still possible. Norinco AK's have not been available new in the U.S. since the 1990's ('97 IIRC) when they were banned from importation under 925d(3) by the ATF under the Clinton Administration. The only records that the importer or distributor would have of such a rifle would be the FFL to where the rifle was originally shipped. As you noted, that FFL seems to be out of business now but the ATF should still have his 4473's in Washington.

Now, if the IHOP shooter was the original purchaser of the rifle, then it's pretty much guaranteed not to be a F&F gun since it would have been purchased at least a decade before that operation started. However, even with the 4473's, they could only ascertain to whom the rifle was originally sold. Assuming that the IHOP shooter was not the original owner of the rifle, it is entirely possible that the original owner or some other owner in between sold said rifle to or through an FFL involved in F&F. If that's the case, it's not at all impossible that the IHOP shooter's rifle is a F&F gun since AK's, Norincos in particular, seem to be well liked by Mexican drug cartels (I seem to recall ATF busting an operation to smuggle some Mak 90's into Mexico through California a couple years ago).

Really, it shouldn't be particularly difficult to find out since the FFL's involved in F&F and Project Gunrunner before it are known. Since the IHOP shooter's rifle was recovered, presumably with the serial number intact, it would simply be a matter of examining the 4473's of F&F FFL's and looking for a match. Not to sound like my tinfoil hat is on too tight or anything, but the fact that ATF hasn't yet been able to say that the IHOP shooter's rifle wasn't a F&F gun seems a bit suspicious to me.

Last edited by Webleymkv; September 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.02710 seconds with 8 queries