View Single Post
Old October 9, 2011, 03:13 PM   #24
Lost Sheep

Why should I? To find the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
I disagree that the FCD is unnecessary if the other steps are done correctly. In addition to applying a taper crimp, mine usually slightly reduces the size of the case nearest the base of the cartridge. Whether this helps with feed problems or not in both my pistol and carbine, I do not know, as I always use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter
Then why don't you load some without using it and see if it makes a difference???
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
Why should I? Why have to mess around with seating/crimping in one operation and take a chance on getting it wrong? Using a hand press, I'm obviously not concerned about max. throughput anyway. I'd rather make it as simple and consistent as possible the first time. My observation is that the FCD, in addition toapplying a proper crimp, corrects case dimension issues that are not addressed by the other three dies.
It's kind of like a safety device that does not signal an alarm when it saves you. THE FCD post-sizing function irons out (some) discrepancies. If you did not notice them before, you will not find them after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter
I don't know what reloaders did before the FCD??!!

They dealt with it. Pretty successfully most of the time. Then one day they invented the FCD. By the way, Lee is not the only one to have a dedicated crimp die.

Crimping in a separate operation from bullet seating 1) simplifies die adjustment 2) allows a very strong crimp without the bullet being pushed deeper into the case as the crimp is applied.

Post-sizing (sizing after the crimp has been applied) is an function independent of the crimping and also has uses. Mainly, ironing out mis-shapen cartridges (This is of dubious value or advisability to some; others find it usefu, Jim243 and Huntner11 among them. IllinoisCoyoteHunter, not so much.).

Spacecoast, you ask "Why should I?" To find out the answer. You said that "whether this helps with feed problems or not in both my pistol and carbine, I do not know, as I always use it." If you don't want to know, then you shouldn't do it. If you do want to know, then you should. And that answers the question of "Why should I?" ... Unless your question was just rhetorical. In that case, never mind.

Lost Sheep

P.S. It occurs to me to ask, is this a tempest in a teapot?

edit P.P.S. 603Country #23 posted while I was composing my post. An imminently reasonable and practical approach that should offend no one ans waste minimal time. One suggestion about the 1,000 rounds. Instead of passing all rounds through the press, just pass them all through your chamber (taking the barrel out of the firearm or opening the cylinder) and only post-size the ones that are hard to chamber. If you work in smaller batches, testing each one as it comes off the press also alerts you to mis-adjusted dies a earlier in the process and lets you take corrective action timely.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 9, 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add P.P.S.

Page generated in 0.03563 seconds with 8 queries