View Single Post
Old March 26, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Basics first. Check the chambering stamp on the barrel to be sure it actually has .22-250 stamped on there, and not some shorter round? Make sure your box of cartridges say the same thing. I watched a guy fire several .308's in a .30-06 chamber one day. He brought me the now-neckless fired cases and asked if that looked normal? His buddy had lent him the rifle for hunting season, telling him it was .308. A look at the barrel stamping said .30-06.

Next basic is to be sure this is new factory ammo and not the neck-sized reloads from some other person's more generously chambered gun. It's a good policy never to trust someone else's reloads unless you were there helping put them together.

Assuming the case and barrel markings match and these rounds are factory new, it then just sounds like the chamber is way short. The engagement surfaces in the bolt and receiver usually can cam a tight cartridge in a little which resizes it into the chamber. The hazard is if that goes too far, the neck will lengthen and jam against the end of the neck portion of the chamber, crimping the neck hard against the bullet and creating a high pressure condition when it tries to let go of the bullet during firing.

If you have a friend who reloads and who owns a cartridge headspace comparator, he can measure the headspace in the new cartridges and verify they are normal and not defective. He can then measure the headspace of your fired cases. If your fired rounds have shorter headspace than the new ones, the short chamber is your problem. At that point you have to choose between sending it to the factory for free repair or taking it to the local gunsmith to run a reamer in and correct the headspace. The former is probably less expensive, depending on what kind of shipping rate you get? The latter is likely faster, though that depends on the gunsmith. Personally, I prefer to make the factory cover their own misdeeds. Theoretically that helps them keep their QA system updated which helps the rest of us down the road.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 8 queries