View Single Post
Old March 24, 2006, 12:18 PM   #8
kjdoski

OC is definitely not fun to be hit with, especially in the sterile, non-adrenalyzed training environment, where the effects are, in my opinion, artificially exagerrated. Every time I've been OC'd in training (four times now - I must be making somebody mad! ), I've been able to draw my pistol and engage the "hostile" role player after being sprayed. Last go round, we did it with Simunitions, and I was able to draw and get six good, solid, COM hits on the role player who was rushing me with a training knife. I guess what I'm saying is that the ability to FIGHT THROUGH OC is all about mindset and determination.

I personally witnessed a young man in Haiti trying to steal some water out of our HMMWV, being sprayed simultaneously by three guys - to the point where he was actually foamy with OC. No effect. He wanted that water, badly. After a couple of seconds, we all just let him take off with it - wasn't worth shooting him or laying hands on him (especially since he was literally dripping with OC). All four of us in the HMMWV were stinging and snotty from overspray, but that little guy was DETERMINED - and he got what he wanted.

Back to the point of the thread - OC is definitely better than nothing, and it's always nice to have options in the force continuum that keep you from having to engage in hand-to-hand or shooting someone. I'd grab up some Fox Labs OC (remember, the percentage of OC isn't the important number, it's the Scovill Heat Units - SHUs, and Fox is the "hottest" stuff I've ever seen) and find a way to carry it. I'd recommend getting at least two of whatever size unit you choose, so you can "test fire" and train with one unit to see what the spray pattern is really like - some of the small units put out a VERY fine/short range cone, and you need to know when you can hit and when you can't...

Regards,

Kevin

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 8 queries