View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4
feets

The targets are an amusing story.

I tend to have a bit of a quick wit and a stressful job. When I get away from work the last thing I want to do is deal with serious issues.
Years ago, I was deeply involved with precision rifles. Shooting 1" dots at 100 and 200 yards was effortless so I wanted something smaller. I was picking up some office supplies and found a package of 1/2" round multicolored smiley face stickers. They were cheap so I grabbed them.
The next range day had me punching holes in smiley faces. When it came time to pull our targets the other shooters and range officers found it amusing that I was shooting smiley faces. When they asked why, I replied that when you missed the smileys were mocking you. If your target is laughing you want to smash him more than you did before.

The smileys bled over into pistol use. Instead of shooting at the boring silhouettes and the little numbers scoring the rings I started putting smiley face stickers out there. Packs of stickers are cheaper than target dots.

Fast forward a few years and my smiley slaughtering adventures gained almost a (tongue in cheek) legendary status amongst my shooting buddies. Wow. My friend Donnie killed three deer this season. Big deal. I killed 62 smileys during my last range outing. Top that!

In response, one of my friends created a PDF file on his computer featuring a field of random smiley faces with the words "death to evil smiley faces" across the top. It's become a favorite target to use for handguns and rifles. If we need more targets we print 'em out and head to the range.

It can be a little hard to see hits on some of those guys when you start getting into rifle range. A hit in the sunglasses or centered on the darker smileys will not be seen until you get a bit closer. If you can't see the features on the faces you can't always call your hits. Instead, you look for a new hit outside the smiley in that general area. No stray hit usually means a hit on target.

Last edited by feets; June 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.03484 seconds with 8 queries