View Single Post
Old November 24, 2007, 12:42 PM   #16
dogfood

Wulfmann:

OK, you didn't mention it, but I assume that the primed case has already been resized and the case lube has been removed (if necessary).

Your idea will work. However, it may be a little clumsy. First, you would need to remove the shell ejector (easy ... just a single screw). The clumsy part is that you would need to remove the crimped round out of the shell plate, after crimping in station #1, but before advancing to station #2. The station #2 position has a spring retainer that keeps the round in place. It is not designed to easily remove/insert cartridges (although it can be done). So you would be removing/adding cartridges mid-stroke, instead of at the completion of a stroke. The auto case feeder would be out of the question. But again, it's doable ... just clumsy.

An alternate method would be to change the die sequence. Because your cases are already primed, you can put the powder drop at station #1, the seating die at #2, and the crimp die at #3. You can also leave the auto ejector in this way, if you want. The only downside I see to this is that you are now seating bullets at station #2. I am right-handed, and I have become quite used to running the press lever with my right hand, and using my left hand to insert bullets. But you can switch the lever to the left-hand side, so that you would run the ram with your left, and insert bullets with your right. There may be a little bit of an access issue doing this - there is an extra support column on the right side of the press. But it certainly would work.

If it were me, I would just crimp in a separate operation on a single stage press. But I already have a single stage, and I don't mind the extra step, so this may not be what you want.

As far as the .45 conversion goes, since you want to use the powder drop, you would also need a rifle charging die to go to the .223. This comes with the the .223 set-up. You may also need a double-disk kit. Regardless, I agree that buying a 2nd set-up for the .223 is the way to go. It will more than pay off in convenience alone. I have two Pro 1000's - one for 9mm, one for .45 ACP - and it is much simpler than trying to swap back and forth, especially if you want to do it often.

dogfood

Page generated in 0.03454 seconds with 8 queries