View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Creeper

Let see... where to begin. A little wordy... bear with me.

Mr. Amsdorf, AKA "ptmccain" has produced a number of videos that can be seen on youtube.
From this you can see who he is, and that he likes guns and likes to make videos. My perception is that he's an intelligent guy, an inquisitive guy and a talented guy. He also occasionally makes statements that tic people off a bit.

If you ignore the negative perceptions and take it all in with a grain of salt... the videos and his enthusiasm can be entertaining, and for many, will be educational.
If you take his comments as confrontation, they can be, ah... vexing. Is he trying to start an argument? Does he really think that his M4 is the best there is? Is he an idiot with a video camera?

I tend to think sometimes that we are all, or have the potential to be, really annoying at times... not always from the testosterone fueled need for one-ups-manship, but frequently from our own enthusiasm. We may forget, in that enthusiasm, that others have strong opinions as well... that will be in conflict with our own.

I once owned a M4. I don't anymore because there were aspects of the gun I did not like.
At first, my ego, which was in conflict with my logic would not allow me to think, that for me, I made a mistake and the M4 was not "the best combat shotgun in the world". Ultimately, I found that, again for me, the Benelli M2T was more suitable for my needs. Do I feel like a weak sister for not owning Benelli's "top of the line"... no, because for me, I actually know better.

Did I want to argue with Amsdorf when he first posted this 2 days ago... Yes. I actually had something written and was ready to press the button... then I stood back for a few minutes, and the need to play the game was not as intense.

I guess where I'm going here is that we all have preferences, some based on reality, some on a fantasy and some, sadly, based on the perceptions of others. If Amsdorf enjoys his M4 (and it's quite apparent that he does), then more power to him.
Should he consider the opinions and perceptions of others when posting? Maybe. Should we all overlook an individuals enthusiasm for a particular firearm... even if it borders on being abrasive? Mmmmm... I guess that's for the reader to decide.

Enjoy your firearms. Try to be thoughtful of others when you post. If someone pisses you off... maybe it's better to walk away than to encourage an argument.
Sure, I'll be the first to admit, it can be entertaining when people go after each other... but it usually accomplishes nothing other than to add more names to your "ignore list", and make us all look like fools to those on the outside looking in.

Cheers to one and all,
C

Page generated in 0.02644 seconds with 8 queries