View Single Post
Old November 2, 2008, 12:04 AM   #36
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
My advice? Stay back, sit tight, be a good witness, stay out of the way. If BG leaves without further problem, great. BG notices you? I won't give up a position where I think I'm better off for one that increases my danger, but I'm not going to start a shootout unless I can see no other viable option. BG notices you and wants your money, toss him your throwaway pack (you do have one, right??). Remember, you can always increase the violence, but once you start shooting there isn't any going back.
I'm in 100% agreement with Dave on this one.

If you can "ride it out" without firing a shot, that's probably the best course of action. It causes you the least grief legally and in liability. Be a good witness.

You might be able to use the "Employees only" door, but the two places I most frequent, doing so would put me right in the line of sight of the BG. So that's out. On the other hand, in one location I might be able to enter the cooler to keep out of sight. (Brrr)

If the BG(s) start shaking down and/or assaulting the customers, I've ideally positioned myself away from the register with some concealment. In which case I may slide the gun behind my thigh and toss my decoy wallet. If he bypasses the wallet or comes past that point for any reason, the fight's on.

Remember, no law requires you to take action or to risk your life and limb. Morality and ethics are another matter, but legally you're not required to engage.

Page generated in 0.02684 seconds with 8 queries