View Single Post
Old September 15, 2000, 06:47 PM   #1
Mylhouse

First off, I'd like to say that reloading has opened a whole new world of opportunities and excitement to my favorite hobby! I wish I would have started a whole lot sooner! So I hope all of you don't mind if I ask a WHOLE bunch of questions for the next few weeks.

Here's my dilemma:
Going off the Midway LoadMAP for 45acp, I loaded 200 rounds of 230 gr TMJ using 9.0 grains of HS-6. According to the MAP, that should give me 870fps at 17,800 psi. So, after wiping the sweat off my brow, I decide to sit down and read Hodgdon's Basic Reloaders Manual. I check out my load I just put together, and I find out that the manual says that 8.2 grains is the max for HS-6! [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!
The LoadMAP says that 9.9 grains is the max for HS-6, giving you 21,000psi at 966fps. Hodgdon says that 8.2 (the max) gives you 15,400 CUP at 825fps.

So let's say I never read the Hodgdon manual and just went by the LoadMAP. Say I hypothetically loaded up some 230 gr ball with 9.9 grains of HS-6. Would I have blown off my right hand? I mean, what gives? How could there be such a blatant disparity in data between the two books? Which reference should I trust?

Now I'm afraid to shoot those rounds and I shudder at the thought of pulling all those bullets apart.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Page generated in 0.02409 seconds with 8 queries