View Single Post
Old September 20, 1999, 01:43 PM   #5
Zach Vonler

motorep: You're confusing two types of recoil reduction. Adding weight to the gun will reduce felt recoil, the other two things you mention reduce actual recoil. All that adding weight does is increase the inertia of the gun/operator combination. With more of that inertia contributed by the gun, the operator's shoulder (or wrist) doesn't have to do as much work. The mechanism in the gun doesn't care where the inertia it works against comes from, so it's not going to start malfunctioning by any amount of weight being added (unless, of course, as stated above, you added the weight to the bolt itself.) In fact, I have heard of problems before with people making guns lighter and then experiencing problems.

And a question for the other shotgunners. I also have a Benelli M1. When I first took it out to the range it would not cycle at all with the Federal Ranger low recoil buckshot loads. Knowing that it could need some breakin, I took it skeet shooting and put 3-400 rounds through it (that was a fun day). I took it out to the range yesterday to try it with the low recoil buckshot again and out of about 25 rounds got one failure to feed. That's not really great success, so my question is: Does anyone else use this load successfully? Do you think the gun needs more breakin? It was very clean and well-lubed at the time, so that's not the problem.

Page generated in 0.02833 seconds with 8 queries