View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Is this a gun you’ve already fired or something you bought and want to restore? Be advised that Llama’s 1911 clones were not of high quality.
I think it depends on WHEN they were made. As their sales began to decline, their quality seemed to decline, too -- but some of the early Llamas were pretty good. I had one imported by Stoeger that was first class, and made of good steel. This was a 1911 in 9mm, heavy, but a tack driver. I later sold it, but probably should have kept it. Weird sights, and rib on the top of the slide that looked unusual (and not typical 1911).

When I bought it, used, one of the hammer hooks was damaged, and my gunsmith replaced the hammer and sear with stock 1911 parts, and it was not only like new, and crisp. The key to success,however, wasn't simple: it appears that their factory hammer and sear, at least in that model, were NOT 1911 spec, and you couldn't replace one with spec 1911 parts without also replacing the other. In other words, some of their 1911s were not true "clones."

I have no experience with newer Llamas, and I've heard nothing but complaints about them -- which may account for the comments above, to which I replied.

Page generated in 0.02111 seconds with 8 queries