View Single Post
Old November 6, 2013, 01:48 AM   #19
JD0x0

Quote:
So if, for whatever reason you choose to imagine, you were restricted to a single shot pistol for concealed carry, which weight of FMJ would you carry in which calibre?
I would take whatever lets me use the heaviest bullets, with the most relative energy. I am not concerned with 'stopping power' or 'punch' as these don't really exist in reality. I want the deepest penetrating bullet possible, if I cannot create significant hydrostatic shock through high velocity. (which, generally wont happen with pistols, since velocity is low) I want the bullet to go all the way through my target, no matter how heavy their clothes, or what bones the bullet hits, I want it to keep moving, enough to create an exit wound. It's also nice to have the ability to shoot through light cover, that your target may be behind, while also still having significant penetration on the target, after passing through the barrier.
For the best penetration you want the highest sectional density possible. This generally means you want the heaviest longest bullet you can practically use.
I don't mind sacrificing velocity for bullet weight, but I'd prefer to at least have my heavy bullets just under the speed of sound. This is why I like loads like 147grn 9x19 @ about 1000fps, or .40S&W with 200grn between 900-1000fps.

Between the 9x17, 9x18, and .38spl if I only have a single shot weapon, I'd have to go with the revolver cartridge. All 3 develop similar energy, which is fairly low, the .38 at least has the ability to go up to and possibly exceed 200grain bullets. Where as the auto cartridges are pretty much maxed out @ 100grains factory loads and 124 grain, if you hand load, and if you're lucky enough not to have case bulging with that weight bullet.

Page generated in 0.02511 seconds with 8 queries