View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I would never recommend you build this. Pipe (even sched. 80), and conduit can't stand up to the pressure generated by the shell. It may fire a couple of times, and the next, the pipe might burst, and that is bad, as shot will fly everywhere.

I watched a Remington 870 barrel rupture, on YouTube, while a guy was turkey hunting in a blind. It was not pretty. I don't think the guy ever did find out why it did that, but most likely there was something lodged in the barrel. He was lucky.

I wanted to add this for a comparison. The working chamber pressure for a 2-3/4", 12 gauge round is around 11,500 PSI, and the working pressure for a piece of schedule 80, 3/4" pipe is 3,500 PSI, with a bursting pressure of 17,600 PSI. Barrels are proof tested at double load, so they will handle 23,000 PSI, or a 2:1 safety factor. Also, barrels are honed smooth for the shot, and wadding to have minimum resistance, and pipe can have a ridge from the welding inside them, and are rough at that. That will make the pressure go up a good bit, and since you're all ready close to bursting pressure, it would be dangerous.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; May 11, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.02808 seconds with 8 queries