View Single Post
Old June 17, 2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Gunplummer

The picture looks like the parts are not polished too well. You need a mirror finish to get a good splash of colors. I used junk leather, bone charcoal, tried walnuts, peanuts, peach pits and all kinds of weird stuff. I almost talked someone out of an urn of ashes he had in the closet. I got good blues, purples, tans and colors like that. I disagree with the article. I think with out use of cyanide the really bright yellows and golds just will not happen. When I was a kid there was an old gunsmith near us and he did small parts and shotgun receivers with cyanide. I mean REAL cyanide. It is extremely dangerous to work with and I passed on that stuff, but his colors were really bright. Try polishing better, be clean, and try some forced air. In the bottom of your quench tank, stick an air hose in with a fitting that has a bunch of small holes to release the air in small bubbles. Have a catch basket above the hose (Wire screening) to catch the crucible and parts. It really does make a difference. It seems to break up and vary the size of the color splotches. I picked that up from the old gunsmith also.

Page generated in 0.02989 seconds with 8 queries