View Single Post
Old December 17, 1998, 10:45 PM   #3
Michael Carlin

Edmund Rowe,

You have been provided with good information, here is a detail description of how a 2700 is shot:

90 rounds with a .22 rimfire

90 rounds with any centerfire of .32 caliber or larger. You can shoot .45 and most do!

90 rounds with a .45 caliber pistol.

Each 90 rounds is fired in the following format:
200 points Slow fire (20 shots)
two strings of 10 shots in 10 minutes per string at 50 yards

300 points (30 shots) fired in the "National Match Course"

10 shots in 10 minutes at 50 yards

10 shots of timed fire at 25 yards fired in two five shot strings of twenty seconds duration per string.

10 shots of rapid fire fired in two five shots strings at 25 yards, thime for each string is 10 seconds.

20 shots of timed fire (200 points)
fired in four strings of five shots per string at 25 yards with a time limit of 20 seconds per string.

20 shots of rapid fire (200 points)
fired in four strings of five shots per string at 25 yards with a time limit of 10 seconds per string

The aggregate adds up like this
200 points slowfire
300 points National Match Course
200 points timed fire
200 points rapid fire
EQUALS one 900 point Aggregate

Then fire the whole thing over with the centerfire and then the .45 caliber and you have a 2700 point aggregate.

I own two Glocks and as good as they are, I honestly do not believe that a Glock 21 could compete in the .45 match at the state, regional, or national level.

I likewise do not believe that a shooter could win the centerfire match with a Glock pistol at any of those levels.

Some time back on Glock Talk I addressed this issue of accuracy. Fellows, what an NRA Master class shooter can do at 50 and 25 yards with a good match gun is nearly amazing.

Most matches will see scores in the 2620 range or better. Out of 270 shots fired the shooter will have fired 190 or better 10s and Xs and 80 or fewer 9s and less. The ten ring is 3.3 inches across. At 25 yards in the timed and rapid fire matches in the expert class and above, the winning scores will be 196 to 200 points, in the master class 198 to 200 points.

At fifty yards, bullseye shooters will often shoot 95 or better in the master class. Out of 30 shots fired at that distance a master class shooter will hit a coffee cup rim diamter sized 10 ring about 60 -70% of the time and his misses would usually hit the saucer diameter 9 nine ring it sits on.

Bullseye shooters are generally keenly aware that their ranks need bolstering, and if you go prepared to shoot without impeding the match, most will go out of their way to help you. See the NRA pages for tips on being a good competitor.

You are welcome to gather up your Glock and test it against the guns being shot at the local gun club. I suspect you will find that it is much easier to shoot good scores with the type of equipment that the bullseye shooters favor. Usually M1911 series pistols that have been seriously accurized.

Hope that this helps you, and that you come out and shoot a bullseye match or two.

You will undoubtedly some great shots who are great guys!

yours in marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 12-17-98).]

Page generated in 0.02452 seconds with 8 queries