View Single Post
Old March 27, 2006, 11:43 PM   #19
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Not trying to ridicule you brother, and sorry if it came off that way.
First of all Wheeler, thank you for your service to this country. I can not possibly tell you the amount of respect I have for all of our Marines.

I try to be very careful not to use words like "always, never, everyone, and no one"....you get the idea. When I wrote the Fluid Situational Response I was thinking of the average CCWer or the average LEO. It was not really intended for the military. I see the two as being very different. The CCWer or the cop will usually be in it alone or with very little help. They are also not bound by the duty that they have to a squad. Let's face it, you Marines (God bless you) will lay down your life for another Marine or the squad much quicker than the average Joe. An IA drill for you guys is absolutely the best way to go. An AI is also essential to us average Joe's, but if the situation has us far behind the reactionary curve and we find ourselves in a startled response, we need to be comfortable fighting from that startled response.

Quote:
Sweatnbullets, If caught behind the reactionary curve are you suggesting that we turn and run while accessing our weapon?
We train our students to respond in the direction that makes the most sense. We train our students to run and shoot in every direction except straight to the rear.

When you are behind in the reationary curve that leaves every direction but straight forward and straight to the rear.

Movement should always have a purpose. You would use rearward movement to get to cover, to create distance, or to eventually acquire their flanks. Movement should be fluid, just because you were startled and began to run rearward while shooting, it does not mean you have to keep moving that direction. If there is no cover that direction the rearward run could turn eliptical to acquire their flanks.

I had a private session with a student last weekend. He had never used threat focus shooting before and sure the heck had never accomplished hits while on a full run. He had a lot of Modern Technique training and was very squared away with keeping the gun running and hitting while using his sights.

I taped up his sights and in seven hours and 1250 rounds I had him absolutely confident in every aspect of Threat Focus shooting. He was making 96% of his hits, while at a full run, in every direction (except straight to the rear) at logical distances.

I keep reading on this thread and the other just like it at GT, that making hits on the run takes a lot of practice. I say BS! It does not take a lot of practice, it takes knowledge on how to get it done. This is something that can be learned in one day of training. (if you already have the basic fundamentals and safety down cold.) Once you have recieved that training you will own it for the rest of your life with very little need to practice it on a regular basis.

This is a threat focus skill that relies on your natural abilities. This is something that all of you are already capable of doing. All you need is someone to guide you to the knowledge or what you are all truly physically capable of.

A lot of practice......poppy cock! One day and you will own it.

Back to the question. We teach an explosive move out of the kill zone (in all but one direction) while simultaneously drawing your handgun. Once you have been shown it, you will have it down in a couple of minutes. You will be on target and getting hits within two steps of your run and you will continue to hit as you run through your appropriate response.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/index.php

Page generated in 0.02659 seconds with 8 queries