Thread: Run and Gun?
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2001, 09:58 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Glamdring, you mentioned that beating feet has many practical problems as a self defense option. I respectfully think that idea is somewhat incorrect. I don't mean to argue with you, but maybe expand the concept of the practical benefits of beating feet.

First, the best defense to any situation is to simply not be there. Beating feet is one way to help make that happen.

Second, beating feet puts more distance between you and your opponent, a sort of subset of not being there. If your opponent has a non projectile hand weapon, you are out of range very quickly. If it is a projectile weapon, such as a gun, distance combined with movement are your greatest assets if you do not have cover. Beating feet beats the hell out of standing there if he has already drawn on you.

Unfortunately while the concepts of Cooper's color codes have benefit all of us who use them, the clandestine goblin can certainly surprise the most vigilantly aware individuals if the goblin truly wishes to do so. Fortunately, most goblins don't preplan that well.

Comparatively speaking, beating feet is a gross motor skill that comes naturally in comparison to trying to draw and fire a gun at the goblin who likely already has you in the proverbial cross hairs. You can act by running more quickly than the goblin can react by firing although if you start to draw, his reaction will be slower than your action, but because he has so much less to do, he will likely still beat you.

The more distance there is between you and a bad person, the better off your situation from a defensive perspective.

That being said, I am sure Glamdring or someone else will come up with some examples where this might not be the case and I am sure they will be good information to consider.

Page generated in 0.02987 seconds with 8 queries