Thread: Run and Gun?
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2001, 05:46 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Living in the country gives me lots of room for shooting ranges at home. I do a fair amount of practice in drawing while walking--which could be a real-world necessity. I also try shooting while going "to the dirt", and when turning to run.

I pretty much assume that actual running is going to cover, or some sort of escape. I'm dubious that I could hit anything while running except if running directly at an enemy, and at very close range--highly unlikely circumstance. I know it is possible to hit somewhere on an IPSC target when in a slow run, but it's more "instinct" sorta shooting, pretty much spray and pray--at least for me.

I think one could try various scenarios while dry-firing at home. It seems to me that the most difficult part of "Surprise!" scenarios is acquiring and controlling one's handgun while in a rapid move to cover; or to duck out of the line of fire, or create space between one's self and a companion or spouse. You don't need to shoot, to practice drawing while making a very fast move downward, back, or to the side--and trying to acquire a sight picture.

Seems to me that the average Bad Guy is not expecting a victim who shoots back, or who shoots first. I'll guess that the BG is using his gun or knife more for intimidation than actually wanting to kill. When he finds a hornet's nest instead of a honey-jar, he might be as likely to run as an armed not-victim.

Dangifino,

Art

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries