View Single Post
Old March 2, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I have a personal issue in that when I see "non-lead" I think "tree hugger" and though I love the environment and the outdoors, I do not like wackos and I do NOT want to support wackos.
I can understand that feeling. I remember reading about Barnes bullets long before the lead bans in California, and I think that those guys were just trying something new, being innovative. Barnes started working with an all-copper bullet in 1985, trying to make a premium hunting bullet. I'd say that he succeeded fairly well. Barnes postion on the lead ban can be found here. (.pdf alert)

The lead ban in California didn't come into effect until 2007, IIRC, and wasn't a factor in the development of Barnes all-copper bullets. I'm sure that the ban is driving some companies to make lead-free bullets, but we've seen a phenomenal growth in the engineering of premium bullets in the past 20 years. The stuff we're shooting now is light-years better than the stuff we shot when I began rifle shooting in the late '60s.

SO, with other companies developing lead free bullets, I'm sure some of it is driven by the California ban. I'm also sure that some of it is driven by old-fasioned competition. Barnes has a winner, and other companies are going to try to get a slice of that pie.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03600 seconds with 8 queries