View Single Post
Old June 4, 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnorth
In most states (as far as I know), if transporting a gun without a CCL, it is either required, or highly recommended that the weapons and ammo be secured in such a manner that both cannot be gotten to in one move. That usually gets translated to mean, guns in the trunk and ammo in the cabin. So yes, your way works fine
Once again, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The requirement to transport with the firearm unloaded and any ammunition in a separate container (not in a separate part of the vehicle) comes from the Federal FOPA, cited by NavyLT above. While that mode of transportation may also work within some states, it is NOT valid in all states. In my current state of residence, as an example, it is not legal to transport a handgun anywhere outside of your home except to a gunsmith for repair, to your home from the store where you bought it, or to a store to sell it, unless you have a handgun carry license. There is NO legal way to transport a handgun to a shooting range in my state if you don't have a carry permit. Period. Some even interpret the law here to say that you can't even carry a handgun outside of the house on your own property without a carry permit.

Do not rely on the Internet for answers to legal questions. research the law in your jurisdiction, and be sure you understand it. There are so many laws in effect that nobody on the Internet who doesn't live in your state, countty and municipality can hope to give you an accurate answer.

Page generated in 0.03689 seconds with 8 queries