View Single Post
Old November 18, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

Wads:

For wads on extruded hulls, the next larger gauge wad must be used. For instance, for loading 12ga hulls, 11ga nitro/hard card and cushion wads must be used- except for the overshot cards- go up two gauges for it- use 10ga overshot cards. Also, go ahead and purchase the pre-lubed cushion wads. I was going to be smart one day and use dry cushion wads and save some money- each time I shot I thought it was new years because of all the confetti that those wads flew into once leaving the barrel.

Another note on wads- I’ve read of a many shooters not using a cushion wad because it cost more money and didn’t improve the pattern. A fellow in one of the first edition Lyman Blackpowder Annuals does state this and I’ve verified that he’s absolutely correct! There is no need for a cushion wad, except for your shoulder! The cushion wad is there for your comfort- not to cushion the shot from shock. I highly recommend them!

First, I start off priming the hull on the press:

A press and shellholder isn’t necessary, but the first time priming the Magtech hulls would be very troublesome, as it is extremely useful in this case.

I then throw a powder charge, in this case, 80 grains of FFg

Page generated in 0.02728 seconds with 8 queries