View Single Post
Old May 5, 2005, 12:06 AM   #1
No Name XII

Qs about BP Shooting

Just want to know what is involved in metallic cartridge black powder shooting that makes it different than modern rifle shooting. It seems like it would be a lot of fun, but reading up on it, there is a lot that I don't know, and terms that I have never heard. Like grease cookie. Also, it kind of sounded like you can just jam as much powder into a cartridge as will fit and you will be fine (I know the second number is how much will fit in, but is it also the max load? Is the load as dependent on the bullet weight as for smokeless powder?). Is this the case or was I misinterpreting? Does black powder burn slow enough that you don't get high pressures or what? Can you fire shorter cartridges of the same caliber in a longer chamber, say 45-90 in a 45-120 chamber, or 50-70 in a 50-100. If so, is there a limit on the safe difference in length. It also sounds like you have to lube the bullet, is this true? I'm sure all these questions sound stupid, but I'm kind of interested in doing something a little different, which I happen to know nothing about.

Page generated in 0.03800 seconds with 8 queries