View Single Post
Old January 17, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Get on the ASSRA web site and ask the questions there. That group is dedicated to long range single shot rifles (American Single Shot Rifle Assoc.). You sound like you jumped into long range black powder shooting without doing enough homework on how to make things work. There is an outstanding book available called "Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer" by Mike Venturo, available on line and I think Cabela's sells it. Definately a good place to start. If you're getting keyholing you probably have one or more things wrong. You need to slug your barrel and use a bullet that is 1 or 2 thousandths oversize (cast bullets) and the velocity needs to be enough to stabilize the bullet. Are you weighing powder or measuring by volume? Black powder should never be weighed, it is volume measured. You've got a lot of work in front of you if you're looking to get pin point accuracy out of the gun. FYI- Pedersoli's are excellent rifles. I have a Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 that will shoot five shots an inch or less at 100 yds. It is very common for them to shoot that well. Good luck.
P.S. - I've had Pedersoli sometimes NEVER get back to me with answers to questions. Their customer service is anywhere between poor and non-existant.

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries