View Single Post
Old January 3, 2009, 08:20 PM   #3
mskdgunman

I know from experience that some firearms instructors are that in name only. They learn a specific set of techniques and refuse to concede a point when presented with a superior (or even slightly different) viewpoint. I don't know the specific instructor, but I'm sure his brother works for my agency (if you know what I mean). He was probably taught that way and so, that is the ONLY way to do it.

Tactics are fluid and no one technique for given tactical problem is right for every situation. I have been taught the same type of barricade shooting as your instructor insists upon but, I have also been exposed to different ways of using barricades and cover. So, when qualifying on the line, I do what they want but am smart enough to know (and practice) other techniques which may come in handy such as keeping some distance between you and the cover, not extending the weapon past the cover/barricade and so on.

Try and find another instructor (hopefully one with an open mind) to talk with and express your reasons for questioning the established order of things...but beware, the established order does not like being questioned. One LEO's opinion

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries