Thread: CZ shotguns?
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Joe Chicago

I handled both the CZ Redhead and Canvasback today, since I was considering getting one or the other in 20 gauge. Here are my impressions:

They both fit me and pointed well. The triggers were fine.

The silver finish on the Redhead receiver almost looked like some kind of plating or paint over the engraving. It looked poorly done and cheap.

The barrels were plated in 'black chrome', which the salesman was touting as superior to bluing. They did look nice, but I have never heard of 'black chrome' before (isn't that an oxymoron?).

The wood was so smooth and free of grain that it looked like the plastic faux wood you see in car dashboards. According to the salesmen and the CZ website, it is Turkish walnut.

I broke the Redhead down and the inside of the receiver had what looked like flash marks, as though the piece was cast in a mold.

Surprisingly, the Canvasback had a single extractor that lifts both rounds regardless of which were fired. I am used to seeing separate ejectors or extractors that only lift the fired shell, so this struck me as cheap. I guess if you are removing the fired shell(s) from an extractor it doesn't make much difference if there is one for both barrels. They have to save money somewhere.

The finish on the safety/barrel selector and top lever was poor and the safety did not move smoothly.

I handled the guns at Gat Guns. Earlier in the day, the salesman at Gander Mountain spoke highly of the CZ Redhead. He did not have any in stock and knew I was heading to another store, so he had no reason to talk it up.

After handling the Redhead and Canvasback, I am not sure if I would buy one. Too bad I am not partial to S/S guns - CZ has some beautiful S/S shotguns.

Page generated in 0.03261 seconds with 8 queries