View Single Post
Old January 14, 2012, 08:19 PM   #18
dacaur

Are the weights written on the target all you are using? If so, they are way too far apart, IMO. When I developed my .308 load for hunting, I loaded 5 rounds each in .2gr increments. If I did it again I would do 3 round groups rather than 5, and I would start about midway in the powder range rather than at the min load, I went through a lot of bullets, and found a LOT of loads didn't work well. Its amazing how just little bits of powder can make such a big difference. Some weights gave groups as much as 2.5 inches! The difference between 43.6 and 43.8 was dramatic for being only .2grains.... 43.6 gave about 1.5" groups, and 43.8 gives sub moa every time. You could just be passing right over the sweet spot.....

Right now I am developing a load for my uncles .300 savage with a different method, where you load 1 round each in .5gr increments from min to max and shoot them all at one target, starting from low to high they will track up the target as the powder increases, and at some point several rounds will all be in the same vertical axis, and thats where you start load development. We did that part a couple weeks ago, and based on that I am loading 3 rounds each of 38.8, 39, 39.2, 39.4 and 39.6gr, and hopefully one of those will be the cats meow in his dad's old gun....

Page generated in 0.03844 seconds with 8 queries