View Single Post
Old May 23, 2000, 05:05 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I couldn't get the audio to "do its thing", so I'll tell it as local gossip had it. The medic, Jeff, is a neighbor of mine. This time, he hit what he was shooting at. A couple of years back, his wife stepped out the front door and killed a mountain lion with her .38 snubby; a mama lion and two half-grown cubs were after her dog. Jeff got home to find a nice fresh lion skin all stretched out. The next morning during a return visit from mama lion and the remaining cub, Jeff missed a lot of shots with his Mini 14.

I feel sorry for the Census Lady. They sent her from El Paso, in a 2WD car. She's supposed to hunt for folks on several hundred miles of jeep trail? (Terlingua Ranch has 1,100 miles of "roads" which are sometimes graded. Probably 100 or more of the residents are 15 to 20 miles from any pavement.)

The Census Lady pulled up to the house, hopped out, headed for the porch, and here came Piggy! Munch! on her knee, as I heard it. She got into the house through the unlocked front door, slamming it in Pigelina's face. She called 911. They explained the deal to the medics, and Jeff grabbed a pistol along with his kit. He got to the scene of the bite; Piggy was still hostile; end of Piggy.

Why in hell they worried about rabies is beyond me, but I guess city folks think that way. Wuz I the owner, I'd have griped about theft of personal property if they wouldn't have given him back. Javelinas are tasty little critters. Smelly, though, until gutted and skinned...

There's a reason for honking the horn when you pull up to somebody's house in a rural area. Jumping out, willy-nilly, can get a leg bit off--by dog or hog. Shame on ya! If nobody responds to the horn, go the heck away! If folks wanted a bunch of visitors, they'd have stayed in Dallas or Houston!

Anyway, javelinas make good pets. Just remember, they're territorial...

, Art

Page generated in 0.02038 seconds with 8 queries