View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012, 01:35 PM   #19
MrBorland

Quote:
Results
After 90 rounds fired, double action
Fifty Foot Timed National Pistol Targets, at 21 feet, five rounds of 130 grain SWFMJ Winchester ammo per target
Mean score per shot 7.9
Mean score for a target 39.9
Mean Group: 4.61"
Good. Keep practicing, and keep dry firing. Make it a point to apply the fundamentals better every time you practice & shoot, but remember to be patient with your progress, too. Good shooting doesn't come easily, so keep the journey fun.

Quote:
Finally I started pulling the trigger with the first crease on my index finger, and really really really watching the front sight. As I breathed out I'd actually say "front sight" to myself, and that worked fairly well as long as I remembered to do it. When I became concerned with stance, or where the bullet would hit and not the front sight I'd still bugger up.
Literally reminding yourself to watch the front sight is a good exercise when it helps you watch the front sight. As you see, though, mental distractions can make watching the front sight deceptively tough.

Try this - get rid of the target and simply shoot into the berm. You have no goal of shooting a good group, or how good your stance is. With a smooth trigger stroke, watch the front sight. Just relax & watch. Don't expect, react or judge. Just watch. But do be sure you watch. And it wouldn't be a bad thing to put a random dummy round in with the others during this exercise.

Quote:
So I'm going seriously in the market for a .22 and I'm going to get a range membership. I need to practice. Any more advice that you can give me would be great!
I can highly recommend a .22LR as an understudy to your GP100. Maybe look for an SP101 in .22LR.

I bought a S&W 617 .22 on the same day I bought my 686. Yeah, it was pricey, yet my 617 is my most-shot gun, and what I consider one of my wiser firearm-related purchases.

Another option might be a decent target air pistol. While not the same platform as your revolver, it'd let you work on your fundamentals at home. Combined with a dry fire routine using your GP100, it'd be good practice.

For those who don't reload (another option, btw), there are some commercial reloaders that sell reloaded ammo at pretty reasonable prices. Georgia Arms and Mastercast come to mind.

Quote:
Also is Winchester Ammo supposed to be really dirty? It took 20+ patches some with Hoppes No. 9 on them before they started coming out cleanly.
The 130 grain White box stuff? Yeah, I think it's pretty dirty, especially for FMJ. It's reasonably priced, available, and reasonably accurate, though. Still, 20 patches seems a bit much. If you're trying for that "like new" look, I'd recommend not bothering. It's a losing game, and it's not necessary to get the gun that clean.

My procedure after shooting is to wipe it down, run a wet patch down the barrel (from the breech end, using an Otis cleaner), run a wet patch through the chambers. While the solvent's working, I'll use a wet patch to wipe/clean the inside the frame window (including the area between the forcing cone and the topstrap), the front & back of the cylinder, and under the ejector. I'll then run a dry patch down the barrel, a wet brush through the chambers, then 2 wet ones (1 patch for all chambers), then a clean dry patch.

Occasionally, and before a big match, I'll do a little more thorough cleaning by taking a brass brush to the areas that I normally just wipe.

Page generated in 0.02625 seconds with 8 queries