View Single Post
Old April 6, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Beretta 92A1 review and range report

First off, the 92 was a handgun I rented long ago and although it was used, abused, dirty and rattled like a box of parts, it shot great. Then I got into 1911s and they have been my #1 ever since. The 92 was always in the back of my mind though and finally decided to purchase one after handling the 92A1.

When I first wrapped my hand around the grip, it just felt right like it did so long ago. I brought it up to eye level as if I was firing it and the sights where dead on exactly like the way 1911s sights align for me. I can close my eyes, bring the gun up and when I open my eyes up again, all 3 dots are in a perfect row.

I've had and still have a Ruger P89 which mimicks the controls of the Beretta so I was instantly familiar with them, although the Beretta's was much easier to operate. IMO, this gun can be carried hammer down on a chambered round with the safety off. Some may spew milk out of their nose when reading that, while others may think its fine. Either way, its up to the user.

For the 92A1 to come with 3 17rd magazines is a huge plus. Being a fan of the 1911, I'm used to getting 1 or 2 mags tops. IMO, 2-3 mags should be the minimum that comes with any gun out there.
Now although I have been and always will be a 1911 fan, I have to say the 92 is one sweet pistol. It goes against every way the 1911 is configured but still shoots, points and feels just right. If I was all about double/single action guns, I know the Beretta would be in first place.

Some pictures before the range:

Side

The 3 shiny 17rd mags that come with the 92A1. The middle one is fresh from the range, the outer 2 have been wiped down.

Inside slide

Inside frame

Recoil Buffer is present even on the 9mm

The range went well as expected. I shot 200rds of Federal 115gr. (maroon box) and 25rds of PDX-1 124gr. +P. Reliability was 100%. Accuracy at 15 yards was about 2.5 inches which I take responsibility for.

I'm a 1911 fan so a consistent, short travel, single action trigger pull is what I'm accustomed to, however the 92A1 was the best double/single action gun I've shot to date. There is also the Federal ammo which is good plinking/range ammo but the accuracy is less than ideal. It is however cheap and plentiful. I am going to try out the "D" spring recommended by Shipwreck which will bring the double action pull down to 8lbs and the single action pull down to 4.5lbs.

Mags inserted very smoothly and ejected just as easy. I couldn't feel the gun slowing down even thought the Federal ammo was quite dirty. I didn't feel like I was holding a brick like some other double stack guns out there.

I cleaned it right after the range which was an absolute breeze. Having the barrel chrome lined is a real plus in my book and wish more manufactures would do the same. I would suggest the 92A1 to anyone looking for a home defense pistol, duty gun or OWB carry piece.

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 8 queries