View Single Post
Old March 16, 2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Captchee

the twist should be ok as long as its not one of those funky threaded type twists . it should be a 1-48 or a 1-60 .
for a 45 even a 1-48 isnt any real issue . In fact allot of the better barrel makers today cut the smaller bores in a 1-48 - 1-56 twist

im still thinking allot of the issue is that the patch material isnt holding up . but again one would have to actually look at the patches to know for sure .
looking at the fired patch will also tell you if the pitted rifling is causing an issue that tearing the patch .
as was also mentioned , the lube choice maybe causing a problem as the bore has been stated to be pitted and its a square rifled barrel .
that combined with the patch material and the patches my be burning up .

myself i no longer use a lube , just spit patching . but im also shooting a forged iron barrel with radius rifling .
The other issue may also be the trigger . . The rifle in question is known for trigger pulls from hell and its common for folks to end up pull the gun right . This would show up in a target with a larger back ground so one could see where the group , if there is one at this point , is actually at.

Doing what kwhi43 suggested wouldn’t be a bad idea . It could only help . Especially if the pitting is tearing the patches.

As to how tight the patch ball combo should be . Well that’s something you will have to work out . Loading by thumb normally takes a coned muzzle or a drastically undersized ball . Having that undersized ball doesn’t necessarily mean poor groups anymore then having to hammer the ball would mean tight groups . There are complications with both .
Most commonly though folks go a .010 - .018 thickness patch with a .005 - .010 under caliber ball . Thus a quick slap of a ball starter should start the ball and allow you to run it home easily in a clean bore .
Later , once you get the rifle to group you can try tighter fitting loads . Those maybe helpful if your shooting a lot of paper especially for string..

Right now , if your not already doing it , I would be shooting from a bench rest .
Use a large background to find the group
Learn to read your patches and start working a load

Page generated in 0.03261 seconds with 8 queries