View Single Post
Old February 2, 2006, 09:29 AM   #13
FirstFreedom

youp speaks very wisely.

What kind of spaniel you thinking about - springer, brittany, cocker, what? Don't forget, cockers were hunters before backyard breeders ruined them. If you can find a serious non-conformation breeding line (hunting line), they will hunt. Some (most) spaniels have long hair, so this means removing burrs & such from their furr, as someone mentioned above; keeping them groomed. If you're willing to do that, fine. If not, you might want to consider a shorthaired breed (pointers, etc.).

Quote:
I've spoken to several breeders about GSP and was told that they are full of energy and will make each other lives a living nightmare if they don't get enough exercise. I live in the middle of the city and do own my home with tall fences around the property and I don't think I have enough room for GSP.
That too is an extremely important consideration, and you are very wise to listen to that. You really may want to consider a Vizsla (Hungarian Vizsla). They are small like spaniels, family oriented, and I don't *think* they'll go crazy & tear everything up without sufficient exercise (but you need to check on that), and they will hunt most everything. They are considered an all-purpose hunting breed - from the right lines, you can teach them to point, retrieve on land & water, and even track downed game.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...+breed&spell=1

Page generated in 0.03480 seconds with 8 queries