View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Daryl

I guess I just don't worry about it all that much these days. Survival is mostly dependant on the knowledge you have. Having a few essentials can certainly help, but without some outdoor knowledge and experience it's still going to be hard to survive for any length of time.

I carry a couple of knives like I wear socks. They're always on me. Same with a j-frame .38 special.

I usually have several ways of making a fire. When camping, I take a turbo-torch; just pull the trigger on it, and you have instant flame to light whatever you want. A roadside signal flare, available at most auto-parts stores, will light a fire from even soaked wood. Wind/water proof matches, the ones issued as "nato" supplies, are great to have. Once lit, the match won't blow out, and won't extinguish even if it's dipped in water. A magnesium fire starter works great too. If you just follow the instructions, you'll be far better at it than those folks are on the "Survivor" series TV show. I've kept one handy for about the last 20 years, and I've used it more than a few times.

Other ways of lighting a fire are usually available if folks stopped and thought about it a little. A flashlight battery and steel wool can be used. So can a piece of steel and a hard, sharp rock. Quarts is readily available around here, and is easily found. A broken piece of it with a sharp edge, when struck with a piece of steel, will give some good sparks. A little charred cotton to catch a spark, then rolled in burlap or a paper towel and blown on, will give a person flame in short order. Of course, flint works good too, as well as some forms of petrified wood, and other forms of very hard stone that can get a good, sharp edge.

Heck, I once lit a fire by getting a bit of gasoline from the fuel line on my vehcle, and ignited it with the muzzle blast from my handgun.

So I don't worry too awful much about getting a fire going. Knowledge and experience are good.

In my vehicle (or backpack, fanny pack, or pockets), I usually carry a bit of high energy something or other. It might be a candy bar or three, or a twelve pack of sodas behind the seat. Water is essential where I live, so I almost always carry something to drink. I also carry water purification tablets when I'm going far from civilization, and something to boil water in.

Other things I've carried include:

Mouse/rat traps. They're handier for catching dove, quail, and such than snares are. Just sprinkle a bit of something for them on the trigger, and it breaks their neck.

Light sticks. They're good for signaling at night.

A mirror. Great for signaling in the day time.

A roll of medical tape.

Paper towels.

Nylon twine or parachute cord.

Extras of any medications I may be taking.

For the most part I like to travel light. It's good to have a few essentials, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure I can survive what comes my way.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; March 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries