Thread: SERPA holster
View Single Post
Old August 23, 2009, 05:39 PM   #32
Lost Sheep

Old thread, new thought. Get a grip FIRST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
From using my Serpa, I don't see how it makes anyone more likely to put a finger inside a trigger guard. The lock requires that your finger be straight; if you curl it in after releasing the lock and move it down to the trigger, I don't see how that can be caused by the holster.
As the complaint was described
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActivShootr
(edited for clarity)
...under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”
With all respect for ActivShootr, the release button on the Serpa Blackhawk is not a doorbell. In my opinion, the release is pushed ONLY after you have established a shooting grip (sans trigger finger) on the gun. Only at that point do you press the release. If you are pressing the release with the tip of a finger, you are doing it wrong or have an extremely long trigger finger; and if you are hitting the release button before establishing a grip, you risk fumbling the rest of the draw.

For those unable to find the button 100% of the time, I suggest you are not establishing a proper grip on the gun before pressing the release. Set up a video camera and tape your presentation close-up, then view your misses in slow motion.

I note this is an old thread, but I just stumbled across it and thought the subject bore this update.

Get a GRIP! .... first, then press the release (not a button) and draw.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02311 seconds with 8 queries