View Single Post
Old April 14, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Jofaba

I have to admit I am VERY surprised not to see conversation taking place here. Well, okay. I'll start.

As I see it, our first order of business is to negate the power of the phrase "assault weapon". No one knows what it means who's against it, but it sounds scary and assault is a crime, so of course they should outlaw something that sounds like it should obviously already be illegal. We should be writing the NRA to invest in advertisements which debunk the phrase.

If the NRA or other lobby groups do not want to foot the bill, than we start a non-profit and foot it ourselves.

Directly related, our second order of business is to explain the difference between full auto and semi auto, and educate in how the phrases are used, especially in handguns which are sometimes called "autos".

Our third order of business is to make it our priority to reach out to our anti-gun friends to "give it a shot". Take them to the range, go through an EXTENSIVE safety course, not only because you should anyway, but so they see how "play time got checked at the door", and that "fun" and "responsibility" make for a great marriage.

I won't suggest this as an order of business, but I have an opinion here that I would like to get some response to. I think that we need to embrace some regulation. I personally believe that what I've seen of the Maine system needs some serious attention. Not only will it help clean up some loopholes, and pick up the sagging on things we may consider pretty common sense, but it will show that we support change, but change in a different direction.

Additionally, I think we need to push for a Federal Concealed Carry Permit which allows you to carry in every state, in every town, in every building, across the board. Zero restrictions. I think it should be a lot of work to get one, but once you do, you should be allowed to carry everywhere you're allowed to go unarmed. It should not be expensive. It should require regular updating. But most importantly, it should be designed to WORK, so if some FCC holder gets a restraining order against him and is quoted in police transcript saying "Ill kill you!" that flags the guy BEFORE he does it and ends up on the front page.

I really hope you guys start posting and discussing here. We need to come up with a strategy, not cross our fingers for four years or however long you think it'll be before the subject hits congress and argue our regrets away once it passes.

Page generated in 0.02364 seconds with 8 queries