View Single Post
Old June 28, 2005, 11:54 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Before you start...

Big Yak--You're anxious to begin plunking out those beautiful rounds of ammo, I know. Before you begin, if you haven't done so, may I urge you to STUDY UP.

Reloading is essentially simple--but (and this is a BIG but) you can hurt yourself and innocent bystanders, not to mention ruining a nice firearm, if you don't follow an established recipie, and established procedures.
And I mean established by PhD's in white coats with pressure guns and test labs to do it in, not by any old bozo (me for example) on the I'net.

After all, inside a firearm we are dealing with some fiendishly hot gases, and terrific pressures. Proving that the experts really were right, that a certain charge of powder is excessive, is something you do NOT want to do.

Now forgive me if you already have these and are familiar with their contents, but if not, may I heartily reccommend The ABC's of Reloading published by Krause www.krause.com and Lyman's 48th edition Reloading Manual www.lymanproducts.com as good places to start. Both are available at most gun shows, your local store, on the web, or from the publisher.

The ABC's is basically a how-to book that explains each step of the reloading process, in great detail, including what not to do. Lyman's 48th is a book of recipies for making loads for almost any cartridge you could name. Between the 2 a beginner can learn in short order to produce fine ammo.

If you're not a beginner, again, please forgive me for mentioning it. And enjoy your Rockchucker in any case!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; June 28, 2005 at 11:56 PM. Reason: the usual--had another thought.

Page generated in 0.03895 seconds with 8 queries